Saturday, September 24, 2011

Welcome Matthew!

Matthew Leven White, after 9 days past his due date, finally arrived on September 22nd, the last day of summer. Weighing in at 8 lbs 9.9 oz, 19.5" long, Matthew was born at 12:56 am, and our hospital experience was very different from when we had William.At 9:15 pm on September 21st, my water broke, leading to a phone call to the on-call doctor, Dr. McDermott, who said yes, come right in. We made it to the hospital within 45 minutes of that phone call and was wheel-chaired up to the triage center. My pants by this point looked as though I had jumped into a swimming pool...note to self, gray sweatpants were not the smartest choice of attire. All 8 of the triage rooms were occupied and I was told I would have to wait in the waiting roomfor a room to open-up. At this point, my contractions were coming very frequently and were very intense, which I told the triage nurse. She just looked at me with big eyes and said "oh, okay, I'll talk to the charge nurse about getting a room for you."Thank goodness everyone seemed to realize just how far into labor I really was. I was put into a delivery room within a few minutes at which point I told the nurse I wanted an epidural ordered. She told me "You haven't even been admitted yet, I need to get an IV started, and the Doctor needs to see you" to which I replied, "Well, can get the ball rolling as quickly as possible." These contractions were intense and like nothing I had experienced with William. My nurse was awesome, and within 30 minutes, I had my epidural and was a happy camper.

All in all, from the time my water broke, to the time Matthew was born, it was less than 4 hours!


Proud Daddy!

Our hospital stay was only 2 days, if that, before we were discharged and on our way home.

William's Welcome Home "Sign" for Matthew

William loves his little brother and greeted him with a huge "hiiiiii." He has enjoyed trying to share all his toys, blanket, and water with "moo moo." He has not skipped a beat, and I know that these two will be best buds.

We are all in love with Matthew, who was well worth the wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment